Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Blame it on the girls....

Or I suppose we could blame the patch.  I cannot explain why I fell asleep before 10:30 last night nor can I explain why I was awake almost every hour afterward.   Now, it's shortly after 5 am and I've already got my pot of coffee on.   This is day three of the quit and I'm not sure how I feel yet.

Generally, within a day or two, I get extremely belligerent and, well, pissy.  Although I've had an extra sarcastic moment or two, I haven't quite flipped out yet.   In fact, given some of the conversations I've had in the past few days, I actually feel that I'm handling things even better than when I was smoking.   Then again, perhaps the right button has yet to be pushed.

Now, just after I applied the patch for the first time on Monday, I remembered one of the side effects that I've always experienced.  Strange, crazy, wicked dreams.  True to form, they're back.   While only half-asleep with the World Series of Poker on TV around 4 this morning, I woke up and remembered the extremely vivid dream that I was in the middle of....and it's weird.

I was outside in the middle of Manhattan during an outdoor WSOP event.  The main table was being set in the Times Square pedestrian plaza and six of us were getting ready to sit down and begin the main event.  As I was talking to one of my competitors, I decided to head around the block to get something to drink and I asked him if he wanted anything.  He asked me to stop at Jamba Juice.  He requested a drink called something to the effect of "Leaves of The Tree" but I'm fairly sure that's not actually a drink considering I've never been to Jamba Juice.

Uncharacteristic of Manhattan, this particular Jamba Juice was set up like a boardwalk restaurant or a Stewarts.   It was basically just the juice bar with seats, an open sidewalk, and then seating on the streets edge.  I read down the menu intently to determine what I, myself, would like to drink.  After about 10 minutes of menu reading in a very empty sidewalk juice bar, I had finally decided.  Apple Juice.  As I headed toward the server at the opposite end of the bar, 20-30 teenagers immediately rushed to the juice bar and all got in front of me.   Then....I woke up.

I think it's time to start setting the sleep timer on my TV.

- Dave

No comments: